Send Topic Print
Mast rake (Read 3187 times)
Hummingbird
YaBB Newbies

I love H-boat sailing

Mast rake
01.08.2009 at 01:38:02

Hi
 I have recently bought a 1979 Artekno H boat which I have  moved from Scotland to  Lough Neagh  in Northern Ireland (the largest lake in GB 30 km x 15km )
In order to set up the mast correclty  with the right amount of rake do I attach a tape measure to the main halliard and measure to the back of the boat and adjust the forestay until the measurement is 10.35 m.
I see that there have been a number of queries on this topic  but unfortunately my translation skills are very limited so an answer in English would be much appreciated.
Kind regards
Peter Frazer

IP Logged

lb

Re: Mast rake
Reply #1 - 01.08.2009 at 06:52:26

Hello Peter
I think you've got it right. It's important to drag the main halliard to the top and attach the bullet (to the upper marking).

You can also drag your forestay along the mast and mark by the upper end of the lowest mark (the one by the boom). From this mark to the center of the forestay bolt the measurement should be 1,37 m for correct mast rake.

Best regards
Ludvig

IP Logged

Hummingbird
YaBB Newbies

I love H-boat sailing

Re: Mast rake
Reply #2 - 03.08.2009 at 23:15:33

Hi Ludvig,
  Thanks for your help.Set the mast up on Saturday morning as suggested and won our inter club handicap race in the afternoon. We were a bit overpowered beating into up to 35 knots of wind.Could do with a smaller jib in those conditions.Surfing at 12.5 knots with the spinnaker up down wind.
All good fun even if somewhat wet!
Regards
Peter

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print